Saturday, 12 December 2009

chicken!

Also food-related, but savoury this time. I made great chicken salad sandwiches yesterday. I learned this idea for leftover chicken from K - but now I often buy chicken especially so I can make it. Probably the whole world knows about this already, but let's see where my attempt at food-blogging gets me. Please don't laugh, though...

For the chicken salad:
chicken breast
fritessaus (you can use mayonnaise, as K does, but this has about half the fat and it's mostly a binding agent)
garlic
onion (I didn't have any this time)

For the rest of the sandwich
slices of whole wheat bread (mine has some extra seeds, like sunflower, added)
lamb's lettuce (I'm notoriously picky about salad greens, but these I love)
tomatoes
pecan nuts (I prefer mine plain)

Salt, pepper, cayenne, olive oil

Preparation
Toast the bread with some olive oil. (You could use fresh, I had some that I baked the day before, so I toasted it.)

Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Chop the onions and garlic and sweat them. Drain and set aside.

Cut the chicken in similar-sized chunks and fry off in some olive oil. You're not necessarily looking for colour, just make sure it's cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool.

When all has cooled down, put the chicken, onions and garlic in a food processor and blitz. Spoon through enough of the fritessaus or mayonnaise to make it all stick together and season to taste. You can eat it as is, but it gets even better if you leave it in your fridge for a while.

Take the toast, put on a layer of lamb's lettuce and spread a good helping of the chicken mixture on top. I like slightly underdo the pepper in the salad itself and then to have a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper on top (you can use paprika instead, I guess), followed by either pecans or slices of tomato. The former really add to the nutty flavour of the bread and the latter is nice and fresh. (I'm also thinking about trying a little bit of some finely chopped pickle in the mixture.)

I have pictures, but they'll have to wait until my phone has been reanimated. Posting this has been very enjoyable, in that I just finished off the last of the salad with some lettuce and tomatoes.

The rest of the chicken I have is going to go into peanut sauce tomorrow. I don't eat peanut butter, but peanut sauce is heaven. All you need to go with that is some white rice, really.

2 comments:

Willym said...

damn sounds good... wish I could have the bread.. god I miss toast; however it also sounds like it might just made a great chicken salad dish.

SubtleKnife said...

I don't know how I'd be able to live without bread...

This salad is just so simple even I can't mess it up; and the preparation takes minutes. And even if I can't be bothered to prepare all of it, I like to fry the chicken beforehand and leave the chunks with roughly chopped garlic and the onions in a closed container overnight. It allows the flavours to get soaked up by the chicken.

Of course, then I have to stop myself from snacking on them...