Sunday, 26 July 2009

ouch! - again...

In the last year, I have had three lower leg injuries that have caused me mobility-problems. Fortunately none were serious, but they were painful and required rest that I was impatient to take.

First a whiplash from running to catch a train, it recurred several times because I didn't take it easy long enough, then a fall when trying to get on my bike with an inch of ice on the street, twisting my ankle and finally for some unknown reason I woke up last Tuesday with pain underneath my heel whenever I stand on it. None of them, as far as I can tell, have anything to do with my weight.

When the whiplash recurred for the third time - again train-related, I sprinted up the steps on a double-decker train - I went to the "Zorgwinkel" (Care shop), a place you can rent all kinds of aids, such as crutches, wheelchairs, bathing chairs, supports to put on the wall next to your toilet etc. In fact they gave me a pair of crutches to borrow, no fee at all.

Between coming home from work Friday at six PM and around 4 PM on Saturday, I hardly walked at all, except for pottering about the house a little, resting my foot. And when I went for groceries it felt great. When I came back from the short trip (it's less than ten minutes' walk to the supermarket), my heel was hurting again every time I put a little weight on it.

So I have come to the conclusion that it needs rest and have just bought myself a pair of crutches. They're not standard grey, but come in bronze and blue - I went for bronze, the main reason being that I have too many blue things as it is. Plus I wear lots of blue jeans and if I'm going to use crutches, they might as well stand out.

It's the holiday season, I almost wish I could get a spot in the underground car park at work for a couple of weeks. But that involves too much paperwork to bother with.

And yes, I will go to see the doctor over this foot, but they're on holiday too and won't be back until next week.

No comments: