Monday, 20 July 2009

Monday, Monday

Welcome to another Monday morning with MJ (that's me, not the dead guy).

I've just picked up my umbrella at the station's ticket office, where I left it on Saturday when I bought the ticket to Amsterdam. Fortunately the weather has been good.

Until this morning. At 6.45AM the rain outside my window was pretty heavy - and I was worried. By the time I left at just after seven it had cleared up, though, so I was mildly optimistic about my day again. Then of course, after thirty seconds outside, it started to drizzle again and I automatically planned my walk to just get to the next safe haven; the covered turning circle in front of the locksmith's, the overhanging first floor over the ground floor temping agency, the corner that is cut away on the football (soccer) magazine building and funally a handful of arches over private doorways. From there it was out into the open for the intersection, dodging the drips coming off the dilapidated concrete rostrum over some shabby shopfronts and a quick dash across the bus station.

I described when and where I'd lost the umbrella to the lady at the counter of the ticket office, described it and then noticed it was standing in the corner, directly next to her. I pointed this out, but with hindsight this msy have made her suspicious for a minute, because she said something about having to find out if it was logged in the computer. She rummaged around in a cupboard behind her - no computer in sight - and then took me by surprise, took the umbrella and stuck it through the small hole at the bottom of the window - steel point first.

Now all I have to do is remember to take it off this train with me...

2 comments:

Willym said...

the world is peopled with umbrellas left behind...

SubtleKnife said...

about half of them are mine!