Saturday, 7 March 2009

pass me the ammo, Father

Father Geoff Farrow posted an interesting blog yesterday titled How do I speak to Christians about civil marriage equality?. What he says is what I (and many others) have been saying for some time. But he says it eloquently.

Also, he has more ammo, knowing where to find the right passages and such. He points us to the book of Mark. In my bible, which is a King James Version, red letter edition (it's not quite what I would call red, though), chapter 10 verses 11 and 12 look like this:
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

If fundamentalists actually took the bible as LITERALLY as they claim, either churches would be a lot emptier or divorce rates would be a lot lower. As Father Geoff also reminds us, the most divorces don't take place in California or New York, but in the bible belt.

1 comment:

GB said...

If I come to Amsterdam, SubtleKnife, I promise to try and meet you for a drink or two! As I recall, if we do end up meeting you want to do cocktails rather than food and fine wine. Needless to say, I like cocktales too, and I'm sure we could share a few together :-)

GB xxx