Sunday, 8 February 2009

Life is like a new hat

Life is like a new hat. You don't know if it suits you if you keep trying it on in front of your own mirror.
Shirley McLaine.

We just know inside that we're queens. And these are the crowns we wear.
Felecia McMillan

I myself have 12 hats, and each one represents a different personality. Why just be yourself?
Margaret Atwood

brim downYesterday I went to this shop just down the road and bought a hat. I felt a bit out of place, like nouveau riche in an establishment where most customers' grandmothers did business. The hat was quite expensive, even at half the price, but I believe it is worth it. I had the girl snip off the tags so I could wear it straightaway, which also served the purpose of getting rid of the "evidence" to my splurge, but mostly because I was so on love with it.

As I walked around with my new hat on, I felt exposed, stared at, but at the same time comforted, shielded and quite pretty and stylish. Of course I understand my readership will probably try to disabuse me of the latter as soon as possible.

It can also be worn with the brim up - in fact I believe that's the way it was intended to be worn, but it kept the sun out of my eyes and I just think it looks better turned down.
brim up

PS. I'm wearing it right now, indoors, wearing nothing else but pajamas and socks...

7 comments:

Willym said...

And why did we not get the indoor picture? I like it brim up... but that's just me.

SubtleKnife said...

Because all the light is shining down on me and you wouldn't be able to see my face at all. And I'm just learning to accept the fact that I'm not completely ugly.

Willym said...

I like it brim up because it shows more of your very pretty face, madam!

sageweb said...

Love the hat!

Joe said...

I believe it makes you look quite pretty and stylish, especially with the brim down. Congratulations on a good purchase.

more cowbell said...

pj's, socks, and The Hat! I love it. Very nice, you look really good!

I love hats, but never wear them. I'm always afraid I'll have to take it off for some reason and be left with flat hat hair plastered against my skull. My daughters wear hats, and look fantastic in them. Their hair is much better than mine, though, being thick and curly. They never get hat hair.

SubtleKnife said...

O no! I just found a stray apostrophe in that post.

Better late than never. I'm going to zap that little dangling comma!