4 weeks: young
8-10 weeks: semi mature
16-18 weeks: mature
7-8 months: extra mature
10-12 months: ripe*
16 months or more: overripe
* the literal translation would be old, but I wanted to make the link with the last category.
This Christmas K. and I spent with a couple of lovely guys who moved to Amsterdam from Australia. I'd met them at Prik a few times, but after that and New Year's Eve, I'm honoured to call them friends. Nibbles at their place generally means a nice cheese platter. I have ventured beyond just the Gouda from my youth and I'm happy to have found soulmates.
In my fridge right now:
- some Parmigiano Reggiano, obviously
- a blue cheese cheekily called "Delft blue" which I had to try in honour of my old home town
- a really nice and creamy Italian soft white cheese the name of which I can't remember, a very
- and of course - I live there now! - a big block of semi mature Gouda.