Wednesday, 22 October 2008

theory and practice of walking in high-heeled shoes

Today I wore my 2" heeled shoes to work. It was a spur of the moment decision, as I was almost running out of the door, because the jeans I was wearing are rather long, cut to be worn with heels rather than flat shoes.

The problem with these shoes is that I bought this summer and have hardly worn them since. Once in a while I think "I really should get used to them", walk in them for an hour or so, kick them off and sit down. I have trouble with my feet every time I buy new shoes.

Still it may have been a bit optimistic to wear them all day. A nice colleague lent me a stick that you rub on those areas that get the most friction and that really helped for a while. I remember using spray-on bandage in a similar way in the past.

All this has not got much to do with this guide to walking in high heels which I consulted. I was especially interested in the art of walking down stairs.
When wearing high heels on a staircase, always use the rail if it is available, or at least be close enough to a rail that you can reach it if you need to. When climbing steps, your entire shoe heel and sole should land firmly at once on each step.

Trying to put my feet down 'flat' when going downstairs, even with heels on, makes it feel like I'm falling backwards.

3 comments:

sageweb said...

I will probably never wear heels..thank goodness...as sexy as they look..they don't look practical.

Father Tony of the Farmboyz said...

Having watched many beauty pageants, I think that is the correct approach to stairs, but there also seems to be a crucial bend of the knees with each step...I have never worn high heels, but someday....

SubtleKnife said...

Perhaps we can learn together... Or I'll have finally mastered it and I will teach you.