Saturday, 11 October 2008

people say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading

Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946), Afterthoughts (1931) "Myself"


It's funny how you desperately want to read some books and others you just want to have read. In the space of seven days I read Neuromancer and The Life of Pi and enjoyed both of them immensely. Then I started The Sorrow of Belgium and after three days I'm still only a dozen or so pages in... I know that you can find summaries etc. quite easily, especially since the advent of the internet, but meant it exactly the way I said it before: I want to have read it. It's just the process of getting there that's the problem on this one.

In a way it's a good thing, because most of my books are now packed away in moving boxes, so I can't really afford to start ripping through this one until after the move, which is still just over a month away. Unless of course I start buying more new ones, which I almost did yesterday. I was looking at Paul Verhoeven's book on Jesus...

2 comments:

Willym said...

Loving the Greek mythology postings - going to have a few days in Athens while Laurent is working to wander around the Museums there!

SubtleKnife said...

Thank you, I've been enjoying them too. Unfortunately I've had to ration them to Saturdays only because I've only got a couple left that are written down and I was smart enough to pack the book.

Since there are about 20 boxes marked "books" upstairs, I'm putting off finding it again until after the move...