Sunday, 26 October 2008

palin-drome

Today, let's explore the lighter, slightly *cough* geekier side to Subtle Knife.

Anu Garg over at A.Word.A.Day compiled this week's words with the (vice-)presidential candidates from the two major parties in the US elections in mind. Besides barrack, obambulate, meeken and bidentate, he offered us palinode.

(A palinode, if you didn't already know, is "A poem in which the author retracts something said in an earlier poem" and its Greek components are palin (again) and oide (song).)

The word palin is also found in palindrome (which I'm not even going to explain, I expect more of my readers than that), an apt example of which can be found in the A.Word.A.Day newsletter (issue 330):

Wasilla's all I saw.

1 comment:

evilganome said...

Hmmm... for palinode I think you could site an number of Donne's poems, such as "Go and Catch a Falling Star".