Wednesday, 15 October 2008

just the one, please

Shock news!
The Dutch may be known as big drinkers [it doesn't say where this is known, SK], in reality things are not as bad as they seem. In fact: practically no-one in Europe drinks as little pure alcohol per capita as in The Netherlands. Only Greeks, Italians and Swedes use less alcohol.

Luxemburgers top the list. In 2003 they drank the equivalent of 12,6 liters of pure alcohol per head [3,3 gallons]. The Dutch managed just 7,9 [2 gallons], according to the Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (CBS).

Source: ANP

(I think K. may be skewering the results.)

3 comments:

sageweb said...

wow..that is still a lot of alcohol. maybe I am just a weenie. I account for a few 12 ounce beers a year.

Anonymous said...

I think the numbers for Luxemburg may be skewed. It's such a small country that a few big events could easily change the numbers by having a bunch of people come in , party and send the consumption numbers through the roof. I don't know this, I am just speculating. Then again, maybe they are a bunch of lushes.

SubtleKnife said...

I tried to find some more international comparisons and Luxemburg seems to be consistently up there from 1970 onwards (in fact, they've come down a lot - from over 18 liters!)