Tuesday, 14 October 2008

hello, pumpkin!



Perhaps this year I should try out this strange American tradition I heard of... I believe this site has some nice examples. It even has instructions for pumpkin virgins like myself.

Now where to get ones hands on one of those big orange things over here? There's lots of tacky Halloween stuff around, but I can't remember seeing actual pumpkins. O wait, I'm going to be in Germany that day. At least I'll be with a lot of Americans. But I don't think there's room for a pumpkin in Ellen.

5 comments:

sageweb said...

That is so cool...if you can make it to California..I will have a pumpkin carving party.

SubtleKnife said...

I'm committed to a European Unitarian Universalist retreat that weekend, so alas, I can't come over.

Also, K has pointed out that there's not enough space in his car to take pumpkins with us to Germany, so we'll have to buy them there. I hope I won't make too much of a fool of myself trying to carve them on the spot...

joe said...

I love it.... thanks for posting this and bringing it to my attention (weird that I was clued in by a Dutchwoman to something SO American).

Don't they use "Kürbis" very much in Germany? What would you call it in Nederlands?

joe said...

Also, hmmm, I'm wondering where Sageweb is... maybe *I* can make it for a pumpkin carving party! Ha!

SubtleKnife said...

At least you're in the right state, Joe.

And a little googling has eased my worries over finding "pompoenen" in Germany. They seem to be into them a lot more than us Dutch.