Tuesday, 16 September 2008

adolescent art

bugs

I was never all that fond of the drawing lessons at school, but I found two examples of mediums that I quite enjoyed. I've always been a fan of the old-fashioned dip-pen and the rich, satisfying contrasts that you can get from the thick-ish black ink that we used to use. Sometimes you would get a pen with a rather worn nib, that produced lushious thick black lines, or you could grab one with a very sharp point to give scratchy lines. The background picture could have been better.

transformer

We did several drawings with different layers of crayon of which this one is my favourite. The task was to draw a mask and I came up with a Transformer, apparently some themes in my life are quite deep-seated. A few weeks ago I stunned (not sure if it was in a good way) my friends by singing the Transformers cartoon theme song:
Transformers, more than meets the eye
Transformers, robots in disguise
Transformers, Autobots try to destroy
The evil forces of the Decepticons

The text in the background says PEACE, I believe.

2 comments:

sageweb said...

I love those drawings...I love the colors..or colours. ha

joe said...

I think it's great that you're discovering these schooldays relics. Have to admit that I don't know a thing about Transformers -- I feel they were probably more popular in my brothers' age groups.

I love the first drawing, actually.