Sunday, 17 August 2008

small gods

house god is watching over youMeet K.'s house god. I don't think he has a name, although I secretly think of him as Ganesh. He lives on top of the kitchen cupboards.

The title refers to a book by Terry Pratchett by the same name. In Small Gods the god Om finds that, although many are Omnians in name, he has only one believer left and he is therefore relegated to small god status, generally reserved for gods who have never managed to gather a following, "the gods of slightly significant places; the hair rising on the back of your neck as you enter a suddenly still glade."

Om saves his only believer, Brutha, from execution by the false prophet Vorbis by dropping from the claws of an eagle in his turtle form.

"left left left up up left right a bit left-"
"- up left now, when I say three, one, two, THREE-"
"-obuggerbuggerbuggerhelpaarghnoNONOAarghBuggerNONOAARGH-"

House gods are also classed as small gods.

1 comment:

evilganome said...

I love that book! Pratchett has so many wise things to say. I can't begin to express how much it saddened me when I heard he has developed Altzhiemer's.

I have often thought about getting some sort of household god to look after things and bitch out the cat when she decides to get into trouble while I am at work.