Sunday, 17 August 2008

Olympic romance

Not that I like guns or shooting, I just heard this story on TV, that's all...

Four years ago at the Athens Olympics rifle shooter Katharina Kurkova was commenting for Czech TV after winning a bronze medal. She saw American Matthew Emmons take aim for his final shot in the 50 meter rifle, 3 positions. He was out in front, practically all he had to do was hit the target to win gold. He hit a target, but not his. Gold gone, any kind of medal gone. I believe he didn't get an Olympic diploma and ended eleventh.

Kurkova took the time to talk to him afterwards. Four years after they met she's competing as Katharina Emmons. Katharina won the ten meter air rifle, the first medal of the Games and today it was her husband's chance to take revenge for that mistake in Athens. It was his last shot, again he was in a great position. He shot a 4.4 and finished fourth.

You'd think the romance and the drama would warrant more coverage, but apparently not. The Netherlands did well today, three medals on the water, I believe, one gold and two silver in rowing and sailing.

(I apologise for not doing it justice either, it's late and I'm half-watching Hellboy.)

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't known of this story!