Saturday, 16 August 2008

3G

So ever since I got Precious, I have had 3G turned off because it was simply eating into my battery without any obvious returns.

Can someone tell me what it does and why it's so special? I realise that certain people now desperately wanting a 3G iPhone has nothing to do with 3G in general - it's just because they're apple-freaks and will lap up anything that's thrown at them, if they really wanted to have 3G, Precious and other models have been on the market for over a year now...

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

I believe 3G gives a faster connection (it's not very active in the US, only one provider has it) which is why the Iphone wasn't much use here before 3G.
GSM is the 2G, so it's slower with it's data transfer.

And seeing that the Iphone is a data-loving phone with it's browsing and e-mailing and all better data-transfer is a big thing. (and basically the pre-3G iphone was probably not utilizing it's capabilities or something)..

Blackberry is now also slowly getting to 3G with the 3G Bold. It also keeps on releasing non-3G models, because of course only one provider (Verizon) actually has 3G capabilities in the US.

Basically that's it.. I believe

SubtleKnife said...

Thanks sweetie. Most of the time when I'm surfing it's in places where you're lucky to get 2G (the office building, trains through the middle of nowhere) so I suppose 3G still isn't of much use to me. But I'll remember to switch it on when I'm in slightly more civilised circumstances...