Sunday, 8 June 2008

What does Unitarian Universalism mean to YOU?

Last Sunday was the anniversary of the very first Unitarian Universalist meeting I ever attended. It was also the very first Unitarian Universalist service I led. Following the Articulating Your UU Faith course we took, a group of us - minus a couple who had to be overseas - led a service inspired by what we learned and what we went through. We had readings about five different aspects: talking about UU to others, searching for your individual belief, that we may have different individual beliefs, but that we are stil motivated to form a community and finally the discussion amongst ourselves that helps us to keep on learning from each other.

I led the opening, the lighting of the chalice and the sharing of joys and concerns, then said a few words about how difficult it can be to explain UU to others, who may know very little, or in the case of most of the people I know, nothing at all about it. We sang Spirit of Life and a hymn called Gather The Spirit and we had two responsive readings and I felt the closeness and the community of these people.

Then we did a little thing I invented, we asked everyone to answer a question that I had written on cards. I had pencils and coloured pens with me and they all seemed so enthusiastic that we actually took a ten-minute (which I think lasted 20) break so that they could draw and write their answers. The question was "What does Unitarian Universalism mean to YOU?" and the response was fantastic. People were so articulate, even though we had more or less sprung this question on them, there were drawings and very wise words, it was beautiful.

I'm still waiting for a reply over posting them on the NUUF website, but if it takes too long, I'll put them up here instead. Afterwards our minister Derek took over and asked if anyone wanted to sign the book. I think I was up before he finished the sentence.

As a member I immediately got to sit in on the Annual General Meeting which is usually held after the last meeting of the season (with so many expats in our community we take a break for the summer because many of them will be elsewhere) and was immediately elected as head of the Worship Committee stroke Secretary.

I guess Unitarian Universalism to me means quick promotions! ;-)

Spirit of Life

Spirit of Life, come unto me.
Sing in my heart all the stirrings of compassion.

Blow in the wind, rise in the sea;
Move in the hand, giving life the shape of justice.

Roots hold me close;
Wings set me free;
Spirit of Life, come to me, come to me

EDIT: K sent me this link with some of our European UU friends (Was this at the Münster retreat? I'm not sure...) performing the song:

No comments: