Tuesday, 20 May 2008

stolen meme

I haven't, as far as I know, been tagged, but I came across this meme on Love, Elizabeth and tried it. I figured I might as well share the result. These were the rules she posted:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Locate the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.

The nearest book, beside my UU hymnal Singing the Living Tradition (I don't know about page 123*, but hymn 123 is called Spirit of Life, it's a favourite of mine; it'll be in the June service, which I'm helping to organise), is by Benjamin J. Kaplan, Divided by Faith. Religious conflict and the practice of tolerance in early modern Europe. Page 123, sentences six, seven and eight:

At the other extreme, Europe's most repressive regimes treated religious dissenters ipso facto as traitors. As early as 1526 Luther himself justified such treatment. Writing on behalf of his prince and patron, the elector of Saxony, he declared: "Though it is not our intention to prescribe to anyone what he is to hold or believe, yet we will not tolerate any sect or division in our principality, in order to prevent harmful revolt and other mischief."

I haven't been tagged and therefore feel no obligation to tag anyone else. If, like me, you were curious enough to try it, please do post about it.

* the pages aren't even marked, you tell where you are by the numbers of the hymns/texts.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for playing! Very interesting entry. That's the fun thing about that meme - you never know what books people will have next to them.