Wednesday, 26 March 2008

methylphenidate hydrochloride

Parents may know what I'm talking about, I confess I did not until I looked it up.

Walking out of the train station tonight with my work bag slung over my left shoulder and carrying a - paper! go Albert Heijn To Go - bag of groceries in my right, I noticed two segments of a blister pack for medicines on the steps leading outside.

On closer inspection (picking something up on the stairs with said bags isn't easy, mind), there appeared to be pills still in them. The foil said "methylfenidaat hydrocloride", which didn't ring any bells, but I didn't think that it was a good idea to leave them there so I put them in my pocket.

Of course as it turns out, I probably needn't have worried about kids getting their hands on them. All the cool kids are taking them.

Googling* revealed it's generally known as Ritalin.


* Note the remark that the OED mentions the older verb 'to google', meaning to bowl a googly. I love the language of cricket.

7 comments:

sageweb said...

Wow I hear that stuff calms kids but wires adults. wierd how drugs work.

Willym said...

no wonder they had to change the name... most of the people who feed it to their kids couldn't pronounce it!

barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

SubtleKnife said...

Is that spam? I think it's my very first, I'm almost proud of it!

joe said...

I've heard that grown up "kids" actually snort crushed Ritalin and it gives them some sort of speed-like "high" effect. Must say I've never felt desperate enough to try that....

Also, there are some good bits of dialogue about the "googly" in the John Boorman film, Hope and Glory, which used to be a favorite of mine. Thanks for reminding me of that. Best bit of dialogue from that film though (forgive if it seems quite tasteless): "Thank you, Adolf!"

(Oh, and the spam? I recommend deleting it...)

WUM said...

Didn't Elizabeth Prozac Nation Wurtzel write a subsequent book (or at least an article) about developing a Ritalin habit after she was prescribed it as part treatment for her personality diso... I mean, depression? It's an amphetaminoid stimulant and its use remains somewhat controversial, particularly the question of when it should be stopped in the current generation of teens who took it as kids.

SubtleKnife said...

Could very well be, but I never managed to finish the book nor felt the urge to check on her subsequent career.

I did watch the movie - in a phase where I absolutely had to watch every movie Jonathan Rhys Meyers (had) appeared in - and it probably kept me from seeking help earlier...