Saturday, 29 March 2008

grumble

Sorry to be such a miserable person these days, I'm having another "cold", the third time this year. Thanks to the coughing, which drains my energy and prevents me from sleeping, I'm finding it hard to think about anything else, or to concentrate.

Fortunately I already had a doctor's appointment for yesterday. I was the first patient after lunch and he was out in the hall, talking to his assistant when I came in, coughing and spluttering (excercise exacerbates it and I had just ridden my bike through the rain and gale-force winds). So when he saw me, the first thing he said was "I don't have to ask why you're here, do I?"

Then I went on to explain that actually I wanted a referral for therapy, but could he please also do something about this incessant coughing! The doctor thought it might be an allergy, but I've never been allergic to anything. If it had started after I started my current assignment it might have been worth investigating. He wrote me a scrip for something (on condition that I was no trouble going to the bathroom because it might cause constipation) and I rode through the rain and wind again to pick them up at the pharmacy. On the way I saw an old lady standing in a parking bay, trying to lift her rollator up onto the kerb, so I had to turn around and lift it for her.

When I got to the pharmacy it turned out he prescribed codein, which has helped a lot, even if it has made me drowsy (possibly even a little bit 'silly'). It's annoying that I can now concentrate even less, so reading is not really an option until it starts to wear off again. I'm happy to report, however, that my bowel movement has been unobstructed so far.

O yes, he did write a letter to my shrink of choice (now I can go shopping around). I love how he starts his letters with "Amice," literally "Friend," a form of address between (legal) professionals. (I assume it's standard practice between doctors too, but I don't have samples of those.)

2 comments:

Father Tony of the Farmboyz said...

"Amice" may be common for doctors and lawyers, but among the clergy, it's "Alice".

SubtleKnife said...

I bow to your superior knowledge on this matter.