Tuesday, 26 February 2008

the drugs don't work

The BBC reported today that a
University of Hull team concluded the drugs [anti-depressants] actively help only a small group of the most severely depressed.

I didn't know I was that severely depressed. O wait, it's just the placebo effect I'm experiencing. Don't these people understand I don't care how it works as long as it does? On the other hand the guy from the British Pharmaceutical Industry has got a point, these meds were tested and approved all over the world, so they must have shown some benefits other than just the placebo effect.

In the end all it comes down to is that anti-depressants aren't miracle drugs. Thanks BBC, I couldn't have figured that out by myself.

The title of this blog is borrowed from a The Verve song, which apparently was inspired by Richard Ashcroft's father dying of cancer. I love it and it's always had the most profound effect on me. Being vulnerable with 'flu and sleep-deprivation is perhaps not the best time to be thinking about it, though.

Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again

5 comments:

joe said...

Well, I feel better on the drugs too. In fact, I feel like an actual human being now, so who cares how they work, eh?

SubtleKnife said...

What's really making me sick is the way that this has given rise to lots of comments from people saying that all you need to do is 'pull yourself together' or 'get more exercise'.

I started exercising five months before I started the meds, during that period I had one of the most severe episodes I've ever had.

sageweb said...

Youtube is down right now...dammit So I take meds so I can breathe, they seem to work but they also have damaged my stomach and other things..If I was told they didn't work I would probably panic and die of an asthma attack. Asthma is a lung disease but stress can induce an attack. So they should just let it all be, things can work for people as long as they believe...whether it is mind fuckery or not...oh now I need my inhaler.

GB said...

I recall another interesting report from the BBC in this area, this time a Horizon documentary sometime last year. The conclusion was that the confidence of the medical practitioner was a key factor in the recovery of a patient, and they showed that in some situations when placebo's were proscribed, the medical practitioner's confidence was enough for a full recovery!

GB xxx

Blogseyeman said...

I have mild cyclical depression with panic disorder. If I take the meds, I'm impotent but happy. If I don't, I'm a scatty alcholic. And impotent.