Monday, 4 February 2008

bureaucracy

As I think I mentioned before, I had a job interview last Thursday. What I may not have made absolutely clear, is how complicated these things can get when dealing with major financial institutions.

I work for an agency, which is one of many. Not wanting to deal with all of those individually, the company assigns one, or a handful, of intermediaries who take care of a lot of their business for them. So I had to drag my sorry ass out of bed at 5AM to get to the other agency and then after a chat there go to the client and meet with the manager and team leader.

Although the decision hasn't been made yet as to hiring me, the intermediary decided to go ahead with the screening required by the company, which meant they sent some forms to my agency, who forwarded them to me. I filled them in, scanned them. Lost the files. Scanned them again. Resized and sent back to my agency.

Then today I'm told that I have to fill in a request for screening for all my previous employers in the past year. Not that that's such a difficult job, it's just the current agency and myself.

Yes, that's right, I have to give my consent to them asking me whether I was a good employee when I was freelancing as a journalist and then I have to fill in the form to say that I was a good employee...

To top it all off, my agency doesn't seem to have copies of my qualifications on file and to be honest I don't know if I ever handed them over.

1 comment:

sageweb said...

I think you should let the bloggers write your recommendations. I have a thesaurus.