Thursday, 17 January 2008

elections

You may or may not have noticed there are going to be elections in the USA this year. Right now the two parties are still figuring out who will be their presidential candidates. Confusing at times, but remember that the number of hopefuls gives us at least some form of diversity that will be gone after early September. (The Democratic national convention will be held on August 25-28, the Republican one September 1-4.)

I've been looking around the interwebz and sometimes without trying, I found these tests to see which candidate would be best for you (me).

USA Today's Candidate Match Game


Wait, wait, wait! WHAT is Ron Paul doing there? At least the other two are showing a much more respectable score, with all the Republicans way down at the bottom of the polls where they belong...

2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz
91% Mike Gravel
90% Dennis Kucinich
84% John Edwards
80% Barack Obama
79% Chris Dodd
78% Joe Biden
76% Hillary Clinton
67% Bill Richardson
37% Rudy Giuliani
25% John McCain
24% Ron Paul
20% Mitt Romney
19% Tom Tancredo
18% Mike Huckabee
9% Fred Thompson


The last one is from a Dutch election site which has joined with a current affairs program on public TV to add a poll on the US elections. It's available both in Dutch and in English. (It's a quiet year on the Dutch election front...)

Last week the newspapers reported that of all the Dutch people taking this test, around 90% scored Democrat, with John Edwards being most popular. I suspect there's a slight bias here, because it only incluldes the top three Democratic candidates and five Republicans. Who knows what would've happened if Kucinich and Gravel (remember, it's Gra-VEL, not GRA-vel...) had been in there. Even people who I would call pretty right-wing over here, like VVD-voters, Rita Verdonk-fans etc., consistently score Democrat. Of the 10% that did match up most closely with one of the Republicans, the large majority got Giuliani.

StemWijzer


EDIT: I found another one, thanks to I Need More Cowbell.

Glassbooth
1 Dennis Kucinich 87% similarity
2 Mike Gravel 84% similarity
3 Barack Obama 78% similarity


On a totally unrelated note, just because I'm a grammar geek, look at this button I found on EvolveFISH.

1 comment:

sageweb said...

Our numbers are pretty close, I think I put mine on Cowbells comment section. It is good stuff though. I have come out today as a Hillary supporter. I just think she is the strongest. Even though my numbers in the test don't agree.