Monday, 21 January 2008

another reason not to get pregnant

Now you can't have any caffeine either... No (or at least very little) chocolate, cola drinks, tea or coffee for at least the first twelve weeks, no alcohol, eat a healthy diet, why not join a monestary instead? In Dutch coffee is also known as "bakkie troost", a cup of solace.

I've been cutting down a lot anyway (I even went as low as drinking *spits* decaf at work), I don't usually crave coffee and when I'm at home I might easily go without for a few days without thinking about it. But right now I would really, really like some - and I ran out yesterday.

I'll be back later.

EDIT: I'm back, have been for a while, but when I first got back I had... lost my appetite for coffee.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happily, with four kids, we're done with all that here. So I think I'll just go make myself a nice "cup of solace." I like that. (I believe the English translate "solace" as tea. Me too sometimes.)

SubtleKnife said...

And then they use more milk than tea! ewwwww... This expert on BBC breakfast said a small cup of coffee has about twice as much caffeine as a big mug of tea - but then she didn't say whether that was with or without milk, so that's not very helpful.

I absolutely love tea, but like coffee I only like good tea. To me that means NO milk whatsoever, 'proper' melanges - not those artificially flavoured fruit and whatnot mixes - and if I feel like it, I can always alter the taste with some honey or lemon.

When I was eight or so I went to play at a friend's house and her mother offered us tea. I said yes, but wasn't able to conceal my disappointment when a big mug of milky liquid was offered. Apparently she had assumed that children didn't like their tea 'neat' and I hadn't realised that there were people over here who drank it any way but.

I don't bother these days now I'm mostly on my own, but when I was younger there was a strict pattern at my parents': milk for breakfast, coffee mid-morning (my father worked shifts so he was regularly at home at this time), milk for lunch, tea in the afternoon, coffee after dinner.

With all these stories out there it does seem like these days pregnant women have to be careful even to breathe...

sageweb said...

I am a true coffee drinker. I make my own. Grind my freshly roasted beans before I pack them into my espresso machine...Long Blacks is what they call them in Australia. I love tea black too. I can never get pregnant cuz I wont give up caffeine. And when ever I practice trying to get pregnant with another woman..it never works out. Huh

SubtleKnife said...

Cool! I don't grind my own yet, but I want to. And I want to have different types of coffee to suit my mood, a dynamite blend for morning espresso, a nice and smooth one for Sunday brunch...

So far the only person to want to make me pregnant is my best friend K. And he then doesn't want to see the baby until it's at least five.

Also, his boyfriend would kill me...