Tuesday, 1 January 2008

Allons-y, Alonso!

A bit late, but what about that Doctor Who Christmas Special, eh?

Kylie looked so old she almost looked her real age, the plot was as thin as wrapping paper, Russell T. Davies is obsessed with angels, it was cheesy as hell and I loved it! I enjoyed the hint at previous Christmas specials, with London being deserted because something horrible happens every year at Christmas...

This new revival of The Doctor has seen some of the best writing the Time Lord's saga has seen in it's five-decade history, but I'm sad to say the Christmas specials are not a part of that.

Why am I sad? Some of the old episodes are unwatchable! K has every Tom Baker episode there ever was, he loves them, yet many of them he simply cannot watch. I suppose for some of us it's all so much better in our memories than it ever really was and nothing's going to live up to those ghosts. I, on the other hand, think it's so much fun to see the clumsiness with which they were made.

Yet I feel a sadness that RTD, whom I love dearly for giving us Queer as Folk and for reviving The Doctor, never seems to write those truly great episodes either. He's a great science-fiction and Doctor Who afficionado and no doubt he has great ideas for the show, but I'm afraid he should probably stick to his work behind the scenes instead of the nitty-gritty of scriptwriting.

Unless, of course, he did it on purpose...

PS. Why, o why did the BBC block the Torchwood site for anyone outside the UK? It's completely unfair!

1 comment:

Big Ass Belle said...

i have only been reading of late. nothing else. obsessed. you, at least, are well rounded and are surely of better mind as a result.