Sunday, 9 December 2007

Miss Otis is an earworm

Miss Otis regrets she’s unable to lunch today

This is another story about puns, wordplay, nicknames and triggers. I’m sure I mentioned Tokyo Rose (Toko Rose) and Cat Stevens (Café Stevens) before, but I’m not so certain about Schindler’s Lift and now, Miss Otis.

There really is a company that makes elevators (and I think escalators, but that’s not really pun-worthy) called Schindler, so it’s not such a big step to call them Schindler's Lifts. Still, someone's got to think of it... In this case it was my former colleague Chris. I’m never sure whether I should feel reassured or not when I get on one of their contraptions.

Miss Otis is the name of the elevators in my office building. I would like to claim I named them, but I don't think that's fair. Miss Otis simply is their name. After all, it says Otis on them, I'm pretty sure they're unmarried and all vehicles are female, aren’t they?

No comments: