Thursday, 18 October 2007

girls will be...?

As Lynette rightly wonders, what the fuck are Playskool up to?

I really thought we were past this... But when parents who try to give their children a gender-neutral upbringing face such opposition, will we ever get there? I guess those little girls can always get a college education in how to be a good wife.

Quick aside: much love to my parents who, perhaps not consciously striving to do so, were so open and realistic that no-one batted an eyelid when I played with legos and my brother with dolls.

On the other hand, I think we have to be very careful not to look at feminity, girliness or domestic tasks as somehow inferior and belonging to a submissive person. They can come in many combinations, none of which is objectively better than the other. I can be feminine and quite dominant at the same time, thank you... ;-)

(As for housework, let's not go there - I don't if I can help it.)

No comments: