Thursday, 6 September 2007

ginger bread cuties

Call me crazy, but I think these gingerbread warriors are cute as hell.

If you don't know anything about rugby or Māori culture, you may not know they are doing a haka, in particular the haka the All Blacks usually perform before matches, which is called Ka Mate and was written by Te Rauparaha.

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
Ā, upane! ka upane!
Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!

translation:
’Tis death! ’tis death! ’Tis life! ’tis life!
’Tis death! ’tis death! ’Tis life! ’tis life!
This is the hairy man that stands here
Who brought the sun and caused it to shine
A step upward, another step upward!
A step upward, another, the Sun shines!


Thanks to Wikipedia for filling the gaps for me.

And now I'm going back to dreaming about rugby boys, thanks to Michele's comment on Joe.My.God.

No comments: