Monday, 24 September 2007

amen!

I've just had a visit from a nice lady - and a rather gormless young man tagging along with her - who wanted to tell me about the bible. Apparently we should be reading more of it, you see.

I thought it was pretty funny, I told her I already belonged to a church that valued and was supportive in everybody's own search for truth and meaning, that didn't tell you what you should or shouldn't believe in ("Oh, but we don't tell you what to think") - and that wasn't necessarily christian. I actually agreed with her that more people should read the bible, but then I believe that goes for other ancient texts too. Hey, I'm a historian! I told her we're having the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's people over to talk at our next UU meeting and that we feel we can learn from anyone. I was having such a good time I completely forgot to tell her I'm an atheist. O well, next time.

And as I'm a very curious persion I am now the proud owner of this month's Watchtower and Awake! - but I didn't feel I needed someone to come back and talk to me later. The latter has an interesting article saying natural disasters aren't god's fault but of humans who either choose to live in dangerous regions (god has given us the ability to distinguish these), or of governments who do not protect their (poorest) citizens better. Apparently they're also okay with contraception (as long as it's the non-abortive kind, I presume.)

I absolutely adore the dated stock pictures in both. Happy families etc., and very keen to have people of different colour in the same picture, for example a white mother holding her baby while a Asian lady bends over to adore it, or a middle-aged white man greating black man in traditional clothing, presumably at an airport or something.

The whole thing gives me a Sunday afternoon feeling. I think I may have mentioned it here, but I'm not sure I defined it. It's the feeling you get from rainy Sunday afternoons when you feel like there's nothing else to do but watch sappy TV movies with a (christian) moral that are played to fill in the schedule on Sunday afteroons (that's how it seems to me, anyway, perhaps there is an audience for them at that time). The setting and the clothes, hairstyles etc. always seemed outdated, by at least a decade. I don't know why, but they date even faster than regular movies. Of course now I haven't have to suffer this utter despair since I was a child, but the trauma runs deep.

EDIT: I haven't signed the book (yet), but I do feel like I belong with UU.

No comments: