Wednesday, 15 August 2007

super

This post was written earlier today, while I was at work.

I think you know at least twenty.

-- One colleague to another on the subject of Abba songs.


I’ve never really liked them, but they’re all-pervasive, so I wondered how many I can name. (It’s a really slow day...)

Within the first four minutes I came up with these:
Waterloo
Fernando
Mama Mia
Super Trooper
Winner Takes It All
Dancing Queen

Then my inspiration seemed to have dried up already. I usually remember when I hear them, but mostly I try to tune them out of my mind – except when watching Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, of course. I was very young in the seventies and to me Abba was something old people listened to. I know now that, like their music or not, they were very good at what they did, but at the time I had no appreciation for them at all. I still remember the time, I think I was 15 or 16, when I discovered several Abba records (this was in the late '80s when as far as most of us were concerned, it was still all about vinyl) in a friend's collection. I seriously contemplated disowning her. But I admired the way she stuck to her guns.

They're still talking about it, I can't help but hear them, and they're singing examples to each other, such as

Chiquitita
Knowing me, knowing you
The Day before you came

Uh-oh, now the discussion has switched to Boney M!

3 comments:

BigAssBelle said...

i've just never been an abba fan. don't know why. but i was a dancing queen ;-)

SubtleKnife said...

I wasn't, but I know a few...

Secret Admirer said...

You never liked Abba? What are you, some kind of homophobe? I can't help but knowing a lot of their songs, my sister was a huge Abba fan.