Saturday, 11 August 2007

silence

There's a debate over at Joe. My. God. about Raed Jarrar, who was almost refused entry on an airplane because his t-shirt read "We Will Not Be Silent" in both English and Arabic, suing the carrier and the US Transportation Security Administration. Apparently the Arabic script made the other passengers uncomfortable. (More on the story here.)

At first I responded with a post saying I thought more "moderate" muslims should speak up, show these nervous people they're "just like regular folk".

Then this morning I realised I made a shocking mistake in assuming this guy was a muslim at all. Just because he had arabic writing on his t-shirt.

I realised I was doing the same thing he was "speaking" up about: assuming things about someone because of a name, looks, accent or language. And I feel guilty about that. I guess I'm a little bit racist too...


Avenue Q - Everyone's A Little Bit Racist

No comments: