Sunday, 26 August 2007

marriage

My brother is getting married at the end of the month. He's my baby brother (my only brother), almost exactly five years younger. I lost my first baby tooth when my father took me to visit him and my mother on the day ne was born, eight days before my fifth birthday. I don't remember trying to peer through a window, slipping and hitting my mouth on the sill, but I remember my Dad picking me up from school that morning.

It was a Wednesday, a half-day, but that morning session always went on half an hour longer than the others - and I hated those thirty minutes. Someone, I presume it was a preserves manufacturer, had given us all these little booklets (in reality long strips of paper folded into squares) of "Tiels Flipje", a mascot for a jam factory. He's an enchanted raspberry.

At the age of four years and 357 days a propagandist comic book character made of berries left more of an impression with me than smashing my face against a stone ledge - let alone my new brother - I'm afraid to say.

And now he'll be getting married, six weeks before his thirtieth birthday (that's seven before my thirty-fifth if you're too lazy to do the maths yourself).

I wanted to write about a couple of surprises his fiancée's and his wife (who is a childhood friend of the fiancée) have planned for them, but I think it's best not to take any chances. What if, by some extraordinary coincidence, I must say, one of them stumbled upon this message? I don't want to run the risk of spoiling it for them, however small that risk may be. (One of the few things I like about Livejournal is the option to change the level privacy on individual blog posts.)

Last week my mother told me she's working on a contribution and that she might be sending me something (I'm not sure if she wants me to add to it, I figured I'd cross that bridge later, so far I haven't heard from her about it again) and now I'm wondering if maybe I can't think up something of my own. I've already got one idea, but I'll have to consult with Mom first. You, my faithful handful of readers, will be the first to find out - after the bride and groom.

Besides those, there are the usual presents. Perhaps people do register with some company here sometimes, but I can't say I've seen it happen before. Brother dearest and future sis-in-law, had a little envelope printed on their wedding invitations as a gift suggestion. I feel if you're going to ask for money, you should at least have the guts to spell it out: "Give us money!" Nowhere does it say the envelope has to be filled, or with what. I'm sorely tempted…

That's beside my other present, of course, which incorporates the other tradition of giving useless gifts with the more recent trend of giving money. I wouldn't just give them an empty envelope.

Honestly!

1 comment:

BigAssBelle said...

ouch! poor little cupcake! that must have really hurt.

i live in fear of someone finding my blog :(