Monday, 2 July 2007

I guess there's always hope



But the thought of another ten years' wait at least is getting me down.

German scientists have succeeded in snipping the virus that causes AIDS out of human cells, leaving them healthy again. The procedure is a breakthrough in bio-technology and fuels hope of a cure for AIDS.

I know it shouldn't, because any step forward is positive news, but I don't feel like waiting that long - and I'm not even infected. Even after having pondered my own mortality extensively (be it in a "to be, or not to be"-fashion) I can't imagine what someone who is HIV-positive must feel when reading this kind of report.

I do know a little of how hard it is to live with HIV, however, even with the current treatments being so much better than before. One's whole life, one's job may consist of working on staying healthy, on staying alive, simply leaving no, or at least not enough, time or energy to hold a job.

Source: Deutsche Welle, with thanks to Lynette.

2 comments:

BigAssBelle said...

stem cells. isn't that . . . not ironic. sad, i guess, that our people here don't have fresh stem cells to use in fighting this and other dreadful diseases.

but wow, what a great day it will be when this affliction is curable.

SubtleKnife said...

Well if it does turn out to be a cure, eventually, they will use the person's own stem cells.

It would be better if more people could use stem cells to search for cures for this and other major illneses, but if all can eventually benefit, it doesn't really matter to me where the research is doen. I guess the use of one's own cells is still allowed, isn't it?