Saturday, 14 July 2007

ex-gay

Yesterday Joe Jervis of Joe.My.God. fame, appeared on the Michelangelo Signorile show on Sirius' OutQ channel talking about Florida state representative Bob Allen being arrested in a public restroom for offering $20 dollars to an undercover policeman to let him give the officer a blowjob.

I signed up for a three-day free trial to be able to listen to Joe. After the item Signorile mentioned his blog and this morning I noticed it's also on Joe's blogroll, so I decided to have a look.

What caught my eye there is his latest blog, called The life and death of a young gay American. This is the story of former prominent gay man Michael Glatze, co-founder of Young Gay America, anouncing on "WingNutDaily" that he has turned straight.

The Life and Death of A Young Gay American is the title of an article by Paul Schindler of Gay City News, which gives a detailed account of Glatze's story. Glatze was scheduled to appear on Signorile's show, but cancelled. Here's a reworked version of my comment to his blog:

It's a shame he cancelled, but it's also pretty clear that his "logic" is indefensible. With Young Gay America he had wanted to

reach LGBT young people in small town America who had the least resources and support.

"I'm talking about the ones who are not going to send us e-mail," Glatze said of those most isolated and in need of outreach. "They are not going to show up at the doorstep of a halfway house or a home. They are not going to e-mail anyone. They are stuck."

Now he calls it

"peddling homosexuality to youth."

He uses himself as an example, saying he wouldn't have become gay if he hadn't heard about it from a friend at age fourteen or if it had been punished.

"If it was a world where no gay identity existed and if you had same-sex behavior punished, then a) I would not have done it, b) I would not have had a gay identity that does not exist, and c) I would have seen myself as a normal heterosexual and sought the help of the numerous support groups to deal with my feelings."

By his own reasoning there should never have been any LGBT young people in small town America like the ones he was reaching out to with Young Gay America. Aren't they being punished enough? Why is there even a need for ex-gay ministries there?

Not to mention other repressive societies/religions, past and present. How come homosexuality still exists in Iran and existed in Nazi Germany? If the threat of execution and death camps isn't enough what kind of "punishment" - originally he said "imprisonment" - does he propose?

By the way, as soon as you start punishing people for something, you're acknowledging that it does exist. Studying the laws and sentences is one of the ways social historians try to learn more about our ancestors' lives.

I sincerely hope he finds what he needs. But I can't help but suspect that like most other ex-gays sooner or later he will become an ex-ex-gay.

My wish for him is that he'll be treated with compassion then and until that time comes.


PS. I just noticed that on the Sirious OutQ site Rufus Wainwright's Going To A Town is fifth in today's Hot 20. Fifth?

1 comment:

BigAssBelle said...

If it was a world where no gay identity existed and if you had same-sex behavior punished, then a) I would not have done it, b) I would not have had a gay identity that does not exist, and c) I would have seen myself as a normal heterosexual and sought the help of the numerous support groups to deal with my feelings."

that is so pathetic. bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. you just can't change who/what you are. can't happen. "punished" ~ as if that would make any fucking difference. so, so sad.