Tuesday, 12 June 2007

holy mackerel!

I'm enjoying a rather nice smoked mackerel. Here's my secret recipe: chop off head and tail (fins should have been removed and it's probably gutted - not at the fin-removal, it's dead, remember?). Remove the central bone and clear out most of the others as you flake it onto a plate. Grab a fork and eat. Be careful, make sure the flakes aren't too big, take small bites and chew properly!

Mackerel is one of those fatty fish with the "good" cholesterol.

But I ate it because it's just damn tasty.

In other news: I bought K a jar of American peanut butter which my rather provincial supermarket* sells, surprisingly, I just put a load of laundry in the washing machine and now I'm going to watch Dr. Who.


* Romaine lettuce? no way. They seem to have a one-variety-of-lettuce-at-a-time policy, rotating between iceberg and butterhead - the last one being the lettuce of my youth. I'll have to remember that the Dutch name for Romaine is "bindsla", although K's local supermarket calls it Romaine too...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I hope you can have me over for dinner when I visit, you sound like a fabbo cook Wifey Dar!

Love ya!

YM
XOXOXOXO

Miriam said...

Hey,

You posted in the Rufus thread on Joe.My.God asking if I had the transcript of the interview. Sorry it took me so long - it had been archived (it was from way back in mid-March 2005!). Normally I would be a little more cautious about linking my online name to my real name, but I'll let it go this once for you, random stranger ;)

http://urn1350.net/article/486

(Apologies for the layout and any misspellings, they're not mine, blame the person who put it up! They mangled it, but at least I have it!)

SubtleKnife said...

Thank you!

And don't worry, this is hardly like J.M.G.; practically nobody visits here.

And yes, I am both random and strange.

BigAssBelle said...

something about mackerel gives me the willies. sardines too. most fish, i'm okay with, but i haven't eaten much since i found a worm coiled up in the flesh of a bit of cod. it was white, like the fish, and made a quarter-sized pocket in the fish. i uncoiled it and it was nearly 10" long. eeeeewwwwwww.

iceberg = no
butterhead = yum