Saturday, 2 June 2007

church

Last month I went to church for the first time. Not that I've never been inside a church before, but mostly because I "had" to, for weddings and funerals. The last time was my grandmother's funeral (actually that was a Latin mass at a catholic church, which I found quite fascinating, but not so much for the substance as the language.)

So four weeks ago I went to a Unitarian Universalist meeting with K and I found it fascinating. This might be the only religion I might actually want to join. And who wouldn't want to be part of a religion that aims to "affirm and promote" these seven principles?

  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
They're a very liberal church, everyone is welcome, it doesn't even matter what god(ess) you believe in, or if you believe in any at all. This atheist will be attending again on Sunday

No comments: