Thursday, 31 May 2007

my magniloquent dictionary

Besides quotes I also collect words. Interesting words. (But I'm the judge of what's interesting or not, of course.) I try to keep up with the several words-of-the-day I receive by email every day, but usually I have quite a hefty backlog to go through.

Some interesting examples from "today's" harvest:

eonism:
Adoption of female clothing and manners by a male.
foofaraw:
1. Excessive or flashy ornamentation or decoration.
2. A fuss over a matter of little importance.

Totall random picks:

Domdaniel:
A fabled submarine hall where a magician or sorcerer met with his disciples: placed by Cazotte ‘under the sea near Tunis’, by Southey ‘under the roots of the ocean’; used by Carlyle in the sense of ‘infernal cave’, ‘den of iniquity’.
hermeneutic:
Interpretive or explanatory.
sodality:
1. A fellowship or association.
2. In the Roman Catholic Church, a lay society for devotional or charitable purposes.
whore:
a A woman who prostitutes herself for hire; a prostitute, harlot.
b. More generally: An unchaste or lewd woman; a fornicatress or adulteress. to play the whore (of a woman), to commit fornication or adultery.
c. A male prostitute; any promiscuous or unprincipled person. (Esp. as a term of abuse.)

And finally:

magniloquent:
Lofty or grandiose in speech or expression; using a high-flown style of discourse; bombastic.

2 comments:

dissertation assistance service said...

Nice collection of words so far. Try to share some example sentences along with the definition of words so that it would be easier to understand.

aluminum expansion joint said...

I am going to book mark your blog post as this will help me increase my vocabulary. Thank you for sharing it with us and keep posting more such posts