Wednesday, 21 March 2007

I love your accent

Miss Foppen, a frail little old lady with arthritic hands, taught me that "I love your accent" was something you didn't want to hear - because it meant you had an accent and they could tell you weren't, well, English. With so much American influence through movies and TV series, plus (my theory) a natural tendency for native Dutch speakers towards the American, I bet we were some of the most English-sounding schoolkids in The Netherlands. I followed her advice and listened to BBC Radio a lot (although I quickly changed from the World Service to 5Live).

But lately, my accent has travelled across the Atlantic. I spend way too much time talking to K. When we're together, we speak English and apparently everybody thinks I'm American, just like him... We met a friend of his last Sunday who figured out, though the conversation rather than my accent, that I'm Dutch. "Oh, so you're from here?" and then he added that I could have been from anywhere in the US.

Perhaps I should work on regaining my English English. After all, it'll make me sound brilliant.

I shouldn't be saying this, high treason really, but I sometimes wonder if Americans aren't fooled by our accent into detecting a brilliance that may not really be there.
-- Stephen Fry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well yesterday I was told I had a Texan accent, I was like, great I've gone local!

Yummyme
xoxo

SubtleKnife said...

You've gone native, how could you?!

Anonymous said...

hell if I know!

YM
xoxo

Anonymous said...

You still have the British accent hun from just talking to you over the phone...

Love ya!

Yummyme
XOXOXOXO

SubtleKnife said...

Thank you. And you DON'T have Texan accent. I don't know what that person was on.

Anonymous said...

Well it was a conference call, and it was after lunch, so maybe she had some drinks before getting back to the office.

Yummyme
XOXOXOXO